- Our City
- Community Development
Continuing Progress for the City
The Community Development Department is responsible for the City's planning, development review, zoning, building plan review and inspections, code enforcement, economic development functions and the issuance of local business tax receipts (formerly occupational licenses). The department is organized to provide "one-stop" customer service at a centralized location. We strive to provide high quality services to residents and business owners as well as developers and contractors doing business in our City.
- The Building Division enforces the Florida Building Code. This division reviews, issues permits and inspects all new construction and renovations in the City.
- The Code Compliance Division ensures that all activities within the City comply with the City Code, such as assuring that construction at homes and businesses have obtained the necessary building permits. Code Compliance Officers also enforce other City codes such as the property maintenance ordinance, noise and signage regulations.
- The Local Business Tax Receipt Division issues local business tax receipts for businesses and home occupations and inspects to ensure that all businesses have obtained their business tax receipt.
- The Planning and Zoning Division processes all land development applications, including site plans, rezoning, variances and comprehensive plan amendments. The Comprehensive Plan and the Land Development Regulations are the main planning documents for the City. Together they provide a cohesive blueprint for development and redevelopment of the City.
- The Community Development Department’s responsibilities include responding to lien search requests. The review includes city liens, open permits and code compliance cases. To request a lien search please visit the Lien Search webpage for details.
Learn How to Protect Your Property from Flood Damage
- Aventura Flood Prevention
- National Flood Insurance Program
- Things You Should Know About Flood Protection